Tuesday, September 10, 2013

That's What It's All About

     I have spent a lot of time pondering life.  By pondering I mean, what is the point of it all?  We get up, we go to work, we clean our houses, take care of our kids, if we have them.  We go to sleep (or try to) so that we can get up the next day and go do it all over again.   When we get paid, we pay our bills and spend our hard-earned money on stuff that we need.  If we are lucky enough to have money left over, we spend it on secondary needs or the occasional "want."
     This endless cycle seems to be the norm for most of the people I know.  For years and years I have wondered what is the deal??  Is this all there is to it?   Why would God put us here just to do the same mundane stuff day after day, until we finally die?  What if I just can't do the same mindless song and dance anymore, then what?  Why do I think there must be some reason besides "just because"?
     I can't remember when I started wondering about these questions, but I know it was pretty early.  Probably around the time I had to write my first research paper in high school or maybe had to try to analyze MacBeth.  I just thought "What is the point?  Is this the reason I am living?  Just to make wild guesses about some cryptic messages that were allegedly cloaked in all sorts of gobbledygook?"  I didn't sign up for that!  
     Even though I was a kid then, the world still puzzles me in the same way now that I am a supposed grown up.  Most of the stuff we do in life just seems like insignificant nonsense for the most part.  
     We do these things in the pursuit of happiness, usually our own happiness or that of our immediate family members.  We do them whether they really make sense or not.  
     This is NOT what it's all about, folks.  

     It has taken me over 4 decades to figure out what it is all about.  It is all about your impact on others.  I don't want to make this a 9/11 post, but the events of that day in 2001 and subsequent stories of heroism and just generally being good to others and helping are the ultimate illustration of what it's all about.  
     There are other much smaller, yet significant examples I could give.  But I think my readers should spend some time coming up with their own.  Think "random acts of kindness." If you've had any proper upbringing at all, you know what this means.  It means doing something nice for someone for no reason.  Doing the right thing, whether anyone else will know or not.  If it can be done anonymously, all the better. If it's something kind done for someone you may not even know, icing on the cake.  
    Why?  Because your willingness to do so shows your true character.  Random acts of kindness are not done for recognition.  They are done to make someone's life a little better.  THAT'S what it's all about.  
     Pass it on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome! Don't be shy.