Wednesday, October 16, 2013

It's More Complicated Than You Think . . .



        I've been on a little break for almost a month now.  Lots of topics I could write about, but I really don't have enough to say about most of them to do a whole post.  One topic in particular keeps popping back into my mind, however.  It's like that bag of popcorn in the microwave.  I keep waiting for a long enough pause between between pops to take it out, but there is always the persistent pop that comes at the final split second before I open the door.  So I anxiously wait again, thinking there might be more pesky kernels that are going to give way if I just maintain my patience a few more seconds.

     It's a fine line.  Wait too long and it's going to burn and ruin the whole bag.  There are always going to be a few resistant kernels that have to be sacrificed in order to keep the rest of the bag edible.

     I think I've reached that point with addressing my thoughts on mental health care.   The lack of availability of it is what I have been pondering.  I guess I just find it so ironic that persons who finally decide they have got to seek help (which is a difficult point to reach in itself) are then faced with the daunting task of actually finding a place where they can obtain services.

   It happened to me.  I've seen it happen to others I have tried to help.   Usually by the time you are feeling bad enough to not give a hoot about what other people think of you, help is needed pretty quickly.  But it IS NOT readily available, despite what you see on tv and billboards and hear on the radio.

     When my little incident happened last January,  I was already waiting for a response from ANY psychiatrist with which my family doctor had tried to get an appointment for me.  There was none.  By the time things happened which caused me to be voluntarily removed from my classroom (see July 2013 post "Well, Well, Well), it was too late for me to care about saving my career.  

     It's a good thing I wasn't as crazy as certain people thought I was.  That's all I'm gonna say about that. 😉

      I recently tried to help a family find help for their adolescent child.  After several phone calls, a visit with a local juvenile resource agency, AND a trip to the hospital with a child who clearly needs help, we got nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  

     Prior to the hospital ER visit, (which was a last resort), one place I called said they do not serve persons under 17.  The place they suggested I contact had a 3 month waiting list, at minimum. Another place I tried to call had no answer and no voicemail available.  Two other places called and with which I left messages never returned my calls.  The one place that seemed to be on the ball went through an hour and a half of collecting information and setting up a series of appointments before calling back to inform the child's mother that her insurance would not cover the needed services at their facility.  

     At wits end, we finally broke down and took the child to the ER.  This was necessary we were told by the hospital's behavioral health clinic, because that is the only way they do intake for their clinic.  We were assured that once this step was taken, the child would receive either inpatient or outpatient services.  

      Well, that turned out to be misinformation.  After a 10 minute doctor consult, the adolescent was turned loose.  Even with the hospital having knowledge that the child is exhibiting dangerous, life-threatening behavior that occurred on our way into the ER, IN THE HOSPITAL PARKING LOT!  This child was given no referral for services of any kind.  However, I guarantee you the hospital will certainly expect a grand payment for their useless assessment of the situation.  

     The child's school has even ignored numerous phone calls from his mother, personal visits from myself, and emails from both of us.  No response whatsoever.

      It appears no one cares or wants to help this child to be safe and successful except the child's family, closest friends, and myself.  No agency, doctor or law enforcement officers care that this family is living in constant fear not only for the affected child, but also for their own safety and the safety of their other children. 

     Why do these so-called mental health agencies even exist???  They serve no purpose except to give someone a job answering the phone (or not) to say "We can't help you."

     The only reason I was finally able to get help in my own situation is because I had a terrific family doctor who knows me well and who was persistent in finding someone, anyone to evaluate me.  Once I told her I would drive anywhere in the state or even outside of the state if necessary and pay out-of-pocket to get around insurance restrictions, I was able to get help.  

     But guess what?  I'm not a juvenile.  I made a financial leap of faith in pledging to pay without using insurance if necessary.  Not everyone can do that. 

     So, the next time you see on the news a kid has gone on a killing rampage, you need to stop and wonder if his or her caregivers tried to get help and was turned away.  

     And we wonder what's wrong with people.  This country is way more screwed up than any of us have a chance to realize.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome! Don't be shy.