Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Ch, ch, ch, changes!

13 days until school starts in XYZ school district. So far, I've survived a lot of "firsts" since January.  First class picture day I've missed in 19 years, first parent-teacher conferences I've missed, first class party I've missed, first last day . . .you get the idea.  

On August 20, which is in 13 more days,  it will be the first 1st day of a new school year I have missed.  In 20 years. This will be the only year I will pay attention to that.  Only paying attention now because it is the first. 

So, whatever shall I do on that day?   I haven't quite nailed it down yet, but I think it's going to involve being on a beach at sunrise.  

I will admit, for awhile I would get sad thinking about what I've left behind. Even though it wasn't really a choice.  But once I realized that the career I lost wasn't really the same occupation anymore, it helped me to figure out that I might as well celebrate it.  I might as well allow myself to get tangled up in the silver lining of this cloud and enjoy the blessing, in spite of the disguise it was wearing.  Some days this is easier than others, but it's coming along. 

One thing I'm really grateful for is that I won't be a witness to 7 year old kids experiencing test anxiety.   My final year was the first time I ever saw students that young have such a visible reaction at test time.  What was different than the previous 18 years?  I have some ideas, but that's a whole other bucket of worms. 

Another thing I'm grateful for is just having time to process thoughts.  Elementary teachers don't really have that luxury.  They have to be "on" from the time school starts until those buses leave at the end of the day.  Constantly "entertaining" to keep students engaged, while also juggling individual student needs.  Not just academic needs, but also physical, social, and emotional needs.  You gotta try to soothe hurt feelings and boo-boos, reassure Susie that everything's ok even though mom is in jail, give the foster kids extra encouragement, try to give equal attention to the needy, yet not ignore the independent students.  All of these tasks (and more) are done concurrently. 

Teachers do this crazy balancing act for mostly one reason:  they like helping children learn.  The job has intrinsic rewards for those who are there for the right reasons.  

However, the changes that are taking place in education across the United States are eroding the teacher's ability to really teach.  I guess someone somewhere thought the whole learning process can be "mechanized" in a sense.  A lot of other people apparently bought into this idea, although I doubt any if them were real teachers. 

This mechanization idea involves testing kids to make sure they've learned specific standards, tracking progress through data collection and analysis, and making adjustments to future instruction to improve areas of weakness.

Well, that makes sense.  In theory and to a certain point. But then, someone got the bright idea that we could apply this practice to every subject and every test.  That doesn't sound so bad.  Except for one forgotten detail:  kids need more from school than just learning what is listed in the curriculum.  Kids are PEOPLE, not widgets.  Schools are not factories.  We are trying to apply quality control measures to living, thinking, still-developing people.  

Quality control is a great thing if you are producing ice cream or automotive parts: If you get less-than-satisfactory ingredients, you can find a better vendor and then all is well with your final product.  This doesn't work so well in a school setting.  You can't just send faulty ingredients back and demand better from the suppliers.  

If you don't believe me, just try it - tell Mr. & Mrs. Johnson that Johnny just isn't up to par and they'll need to produce a better person if they wish to be considered as student suppliers in the future.  

This is why my chosen profession no longer exists;  schools are expected to find a way to make all children develop and learn the same things at the same times and prove that this forced maturity is being achieved. Of course teachers and schools strive to do their best and prepare students, but is it realistic to think that children coming into school with varying abilities, talents, and home lives are going to hit the same learning benchmarks at the same time?  Talk about pressure!!

So, yeah, things have changed. The concept of teaching and learning that I grew up with no longer exists.  I'm sure many of my colleagues will adapt, some will crack under the pressure and be forced out, and others will just eventually draw the line and decide its no longer rewarding to keep trying to do the impossible.  

All I know is, I am where I need to be and it's not such a bad place.  


2 comments:

  1. Well put. As a collector and analyzer of mfd data I totally concur; one size does not fit. In the school systems out here in AZ, in particular the math teachers my daughter has each year they dred the inevitable first conversation with her father: me. They seem to teach the subject the hardway or more aptly the way the standard is taught not realizing students do learn differently. When I show my now 17 yr old daughter how to find "x^2" my way which she understands and they proceed to mark her work wrong there is an obvious substance error. So I totally understand what you mean as I deal with the teacher/test anxiety that has been created by those little kids who sat in the corner trying to force a square block in the round opening so many years ago (the politicians).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent observations! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome! Don't be shy.