Thursday, August 1, 2013

Royal Babywatch

Well, the Royal Babywatch drama is behind us and I, for one, am quite relieved that there is now a male heir available to Great Britain.  

Personally, I'm pretty sure the little guy was born weeks ago and Kate has just been working out like a fiend ever since to spare us all the media's next planned drawn-out Royal saga called "figure watch."  You know how they did poor Diana for weeks after Will was born. 

Good thinking, Will & Kate!  Stay ahead of those ruthless story hounds.  

Anyway, I'm pretty sure all those Catholic Cardinal guys were way ahead of the game, too.  It seems like this year's Popewatch didn't last nearly as long as the one in 2005.  Granted, these dudes had some warning this time, since no one had to die before choosing a successor.  I was planning for weeks of watching the smoke curl up out of the little Vatican chimney, trying to discern the actual color of it before getting the official word from the man on the street.  Luckily, most of this broo-ha-ha was avoided and it was all over in a matter of a couple days. 

I'm bettin' with all the technology today, the Cardinals discovered it was much easier to do a google survey ahead of time from their own little part of the globe, then meet on the appointed date for some good-natured Bingo games in the Sistine Chapel basement. 

 Catholic folks:  I mean no offense, and I know you've got a good sense of humor, so don't take it personally.

If this isn't how it was, I think it would have been an awesome approach:  The world gets their bit of theatrical suspense, a new Pope is selected, the Cardinals get to fellowship for a few days of retreat in Vatican City, no harm done. 

I'm not sure what the next "watch" will be, but I'm pretty sure there are some media blitz geniuses working on it at this very moment. 

Stay tuned . . . . 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome! Don't be shy.